As we close the book on another year, we are reflecting on all of the amazing things that 2018 brought to Style Maker Fabrics. Between meeting new friends, collaborating with favorite designers, following along on two inspiring style tours and not to mention ALL of the amazing fabrics, we are so grateful for a truly incredible year! Let’s take a look at a few of the highlights!
Instagram Top Nine
A great jumping off point in reviewing the past year is taking a look at our Top Nine posts from Instagram for 2018. An amazing mix of fabrics and patterns, these nine are a great representation of our year! From left to right and top to bottom:
- Erica’s Blackwood Cardigan from our Spring Style Tour
- The Fulton Sweater Blazer by Alina Design Co in our rose ponte.
- Your favorite color from spring—Ballet Slipper!
- Your favorite color this fall—Mustard!
- Playing with fabric + trim combinations for Chalk and Notch’s Joy Jacket
- Inside the Hem’s Royal Wedding Reveal in our poppy sateen.
- Fall Must-Have Fabric—Stretch Twill Solids
- A peak at our Sew Expo booth displays.
- One of our favorite makes—Range Backpack from Noodlehead
Sew Expo in Puyallup
In March, we made our second appearance at the annual Sewing and Stitchery Expo. With an even bigger booth, we were able to share more of what Style Maker Fabrics is all about with the amazing makers and sewists in attendance. With the help of our sewing friends, the booth was full of incredible garments and inspiring displays and it was such an amazing experience to get to meet some of our customers in person. Preparations have already begun for the 2019 show. We hope to see your there!
Inspiration Overload—Spring and Fall Style Tours
All year we look forward to the arrival of spring and fall! New seasons mean new fabrics and loads of sewing inspiration during our style tours. With months of preparation that go behind each collection, we can’t wait to see what each amazing group of sewists creates with the new fabrics. Each tour has its own unique look and we anxiously wait, along with all of you, to see each stop’s big reveal! Check out the recaps for this year’s tours here: Spring Style Tour 2018 and Fall Style Tour 2018.
Colors of the Year
So…those top posts from Instagram are no joke! If we had to choose two colors to sum up 2018, we’d have to pick Ballet Slipper pink and Mustard yellow. While you might not want to pair them together, they were your favorite colors (and ours!) this past spring and fall. Linen, rayon, tencel, flannel…we loved them all! Pantone says the color of 2019 is “Living Coral”, so we’ll see what the new year brings!
So much fabric, so little time—While we didn’t get as much sewn this year as we would have liked, here are a few of our favorite makes from 2018!
- April Showers Luzerne Trench — Stunning spring colors and textures.
- Herringbone Floral Magnolia Dress — A bit of frosting for a special event.
- Vintage Inspired Range Backpack — Function, style and not a garment!
- Wardrobe Staple Ginger Jeans — Our most worn garment from this year.
Top Indie Patterns
To round out our year in review, here is a look at our best selling indie patterns from 2018. For two patterns this is their second year in the top 5 and we are excited to see a pair of pants make the list this time around. We think everyone will agree, these five are all must-haves in your handmade wardrobe!
- Tabor V-Neck | Sew House Seven — Knock out favorite from our Fall Style Tour.
- Talvikki Sweater | Named — Modern comfort + Sew Expo booth favorite.
- Toaster Sweaters | Sew House Seven — 2 in 1, cozy versatility.
- Lander Pants + Shorts | True Bias — The year of pants, crowd favorite.
- Sapporo Coat | Papercut Patterns — Chic outerwear.
We can’t thank you all enough for following along with us on this journey over the past 12 months and for supporting our growing small business. Your love and support mean the world to us and we can’t wait to see what the new year brings!
Cheers to an amazing 2019! Happy New Year!